The cool spring has continued and we all hope that warmer weather is arriving soon! Greenhouses around the UK will be emptied and window-sills in houses can be cleared of plants as everything can be planted out. Time to harvest rhubarb to make a rhubarb summer pudding!
Gardening jobs to do this month:
• Water onions well to ensure the bulbs swell
• Pinch out tips of broad beans to discourage blackfly
• Feed all plants weekly with our liquid fertiliser and water regularly during dry periods
• Earth up Main Crop potatoes
• Plant cucumbers, melons and peppers
• Control pests with organic / homemade spray
• Harvest Rhubarb- don’t allow flower spikes to form on the rhubarb
• Protect soft fruit with netting
• Start picking: broad beans, salad crops and peas
• Sow brassicas for winter
• Stop harvesting asparagus by the longest day. Fertilise once you have stopped harvesting. Mulching your asparagus beds ready for the winter with our soil conditioner is the best way to ensure a plentiful harvest next year.
• Plant summer bedding plants
• Water newly planted shrubs and perennials
• Feed lawns with our liquid fertiliser