Spring is almost here! Time to do lots of preparation and sowing of early crops in the greenhouse.
Jobs to do this month:
• Plant herbs in pots to keep in the kitchen
• Peaches and grapes can be planted in the greenhouse
• Harvest winter vegetables: kale, purple sprouting broccoli, spinach and chard, parsnip, turnip, swede and Jerusalem artichokes
• Sow early crops in the greenhouse or on a light windowsill: beetroot, broad beans, early cabbages, herbs, leeks, lettuce, onions, parsnip, peas, radish, spinach and turnip
• Sow greenhouse crops: chillies, tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, cucumber, melons and keep warm inside or in a heated propagator
• Force rhubarb under forcing pots
• Cut down raspberry canes to 1 inch above soil level
• Apply Natural Soil conditioner to vegetable beds ready for planting out seedlings from the greenhouse
• Apply Natural Soil Conditioner to flower beds ready for planting flowering bulbs and perennials
• Sow sweet peas
• Dig up and divide snowdrops and replant, ready for next spring
• Prune late flowering Clematis
• Keep topping up the bird feeders!